Iowa’s Hillandale Farms said Friday it was recalling more than 170 million eggs after laboratory tests confirmed salmonella. The company did not say if its action was connected to the recall by Wright County Egg, another Iowa farm that recalled 380 million eggs earlier this week. The latest recall puts the total number of potentially tainted eggs at over half a billion.
Here are the qualifications for organic eggs.
Organic Valley CoOp is a whole new look at eggs and an interesting website to visit – it is owned by organic family farmers from all regions in the U.S., and they are leaders in organic agriculture. If you eat eggs, I suggest you always look for their label.
- Organic hens must be allowed access to the outdoors, and never kept in confinement cages, providing many benefits such as better quality of life for the animal, superior animal health, and greater nutritive value in food derived from the animal.
- Our hens are fed only certified organic feed, grown on land not treated with synthetic fertilizers or pesticides for a minimum of three years.
- Organic animals must not be genetically modified and cannot be fed food from genetically modified sources.
- The USDA organic standards are the strictest food production standards in the world.
- Certified organic farms are required to follow the strict production rules of the USDA’s National Organic Standards www.ams.usda.gov/nop and are regularly inspected by an independent third party for compliance.
An FDA spokeswoman said the two recalls from the two source farms are related. The strain of salmonella causing the poisoning is the same in both cases, salmonella enteritidis.
The eggs recalled were distributed under the brand names Hillandale Farms, Sunny Farms, Sunny Meadow, Wholesome Farms and West Creek. The new recall applies to eggs sold between April and August.
The recall originated at Wright County Egg, which distribute their eggs nationally and under various name brands, Lucerne, Albertson, Mountain Dairy, Ralph’s, Boomsma’s, Sunshine, Hillandale, Trafficanda, Farm Fresh, Shoreland, Lund, Dutch Farms, and Kemps. They are packaged in different sized cartons, from half a dozen to a dozen and a half sizes. Egg products do not seem to be effected.